Monday, July 7, 2008

Richmond, VA

A CITY FILLED WITH HISTORY.
The perfect place for a history seminar! That's where I was last week--my "vacation" I guess.
Here are just some clips of the exciting sites I got the opportunity to see. I started off at St John's Church where I saw a reenactment of Patrick Henry's speech, "Give me liberty or give me death" in the exact place where he spoke those words.
In this picture is Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and two other men there that day--Ghosts from the Past :)




Buried at St. John's is Edgar Allan Poe's mother.




















Next was Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. Very interesting place. I could sit here for hours telling you about him and his home but I won't. If you are interested you can ask or look it up. He was a very interesting man. Here is his home, his tombstone, and his garden at Mulberry Row--where his slaves worked and lived.











A statue of Robert E. Lee on Monument Ave.














President Abraham Lincoln and his son, Tad at the Museum of the Civil War. This statue was put here to commemorate the day the Confederacy surrendered and Lincoln arrived in Richmond. He walked the streets with his son followed by freed slaves and sat down in the White House of the Confederacy which is the next picture. The quote behind him is "To Bind the Nation's Wounds" which was spoken by Lincoln in his second inaugural.














Here is the White House of the Confederacy and the statue of Jefferson Davis on Monument Ave.


























This is an actual gun made in Columbus, MS during the Civil War.














Mississippi Infantry in Civil War.















Battlefield at Chancellorsville, VA where Stonewall Jackson's arm got shot and led to his death.


No comments:

Chad and Megan

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sarah Bentley

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Susanna Jayne

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Chopper Bear

baby